Le Chrome

Discussions traitant de l'impact du pic pétrolier sur l'économie.

Modérateurs : Rod, Modérateurs

energy_isere
Modérateur
Modérateur

Le Chrome

Message par energy_isere » 24 juil. 2022, 12:11

Un métal dont on parle peu, le Chrome.
C'est pourtant le troisiéme métal le plus produit dans le monde. Le 1er est le fer, puis l'Aluminium (68 millions de t en 2021) puis le Chrome (41 millions de t en 2021). Devant le cuivre (21 millions de t en 2021) puis le Zinc (13 millions de t en 2021)

la derniére fiche usgs : https://pubs.usgs.gov/periodicals/mcs20 ... romium.pdf

l'Afrique du Sud produit 44 % de la production mondiale !

chiffres en milliers de tonnes

Worldwide Supply of and Demand for Chromium

The world’s production (supply) and consumption (demand) of chromium have been influenced by the global market,as demand for mineral commodities,including chromium, has increased. Chromium is traded on the world market in the form of ferrochromium, an iron-chromium alloy.

The price of ferrochromium reached historically high levels in 2008 and then declined in 2009 with a weakening world economy. During the same time period, China’s role as a chromium consumer has grown with its expanding stainless steel industry.

Ferrochromium production is an electrical energy-intensive process. Much of the electrical power currently produced is coal based, a carbon dioxide gas-producing process that is under consideration for regulation because of its impact on climate. These factors suggest that the electrical energy cost of ferrochromium production will rise in the future.
https://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2010/3089/pdf/fs2010-3089.pdf

en 2006 la production mondiale était de 20 millions de tonnes par an soit la moitié de 2021
https://d9-wret.s3.us-west-2.amazonaws. ... mmcs07.pdf

energy_isere
Modérateur
Modérateur

Re: Le Chrome

Message par energy_isere » 24 juil. 2022, 12:26

CHROMIUM

China consumes the most chromium out of any nation on Earth. But which countries produce the most chromium? South Africa takes the lead by a long shot.

Chromium is a hard, brittle gray metal with both a high melting point and corrosion resistance.

Those characteristics make it a key element in stainless steel production. In fact, chromium producers sell about 60 percent of their output to the steel industry.

The steel industry consumes chromium somewhat indirectly in that stainless steel production requires ferrochrome, an alloy of chromium and iron that contains 50 to 70 percent chromium by weight. Essentially, chromium is used to produce ferrochrome, which is then used to make steel.

China is the world’s top chromium consumer, as well as the top stainless steel producer. However, the nation has no chromium production of its own. China also has limited choices in regards to chromium imports — the US Geological Survey’s most recent report on chromium shows only five countries produced the metal in 2021.

South Africa is home to the vast majority of the world’s chromite deposits and is the largest ferrochrome and chromite ore producer. Many countries depend on South Africa for chromium imports.

Here’s a brief overview of last year’s five top chromium-producing countries. All in all, global chromium production rose year-on-year in 2021, reaching a total of 41 million metric tons (MT).

1. South Africa
Mine production: 18 million MT

South Africa produced 18 million MT of chromium in 2021. The country's output rose significantly over 2020's 13,200 million MT, and it continues to beat out the rest of the world’s chromium producers by a wide margin.

Chromium production requires a lot of energy, which can be a problem in South Africa as electrical power supply is sometimes constrained in the country. “Ore production was estimated to increase in 2021 owing to recovery of the market following the COVID-19 pandemic,” explains the US Geological Survey.

2. Kazakhstan
Mine production: 7 million MT

Last year, Kazakhstan produced 7 million MT of chromium, which is consistent with its 2020 output. One major chromium operation in the country is the Vokshod mine and plant, owned by Yildirim Group.

Diversified miner Eurasian Resources Group is also a big presence in Kazakhstan’s chromium space. The company’s ferroalloys division includes Kazchrome, which in turn is made up of four operating divisions: the Donskoy ore-mining and processing plant, the Aktobe ferroalloys plant, the Aksu ferroalloys plant and the Kazmarganets mining enterprise.

3. Turkey
Mine production: 7 million MT

Top chromium-producing country Turkey saw its production of the metal fall in 2020, reaching 8 million MT compared to 10 million MT in 2019. It fell further in 2021, dropping to 7 million MT.

Yildirim Group is a major player in the Turkish chromium industry through Eti Krom, which it acquired in 2004. Eti Krom is the world’s biggest hard lumpy marketable chrome ore producer, and is the only chrome ore supplier in Turkey that can extract chromium throughout the entire year. Yildirim Group states that Eti Krom is the only high-carbon ferrochrome producer in Turkey.

4. India
Mine production: 3 million MT

India’s chromium production came in at 3 million MT in 2021, up slightly from 2.5 million MT in 2020. Little information is available on the Indian chromium space. In a past mineral commodity summary for chromium, the US Geological Survey states that chromium ferroalloys are produced at plants in the states of Andhra Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Gujarat, Odisha and West Bengal.

Tata Steel has a ferroalloys and minerals division that includes Tata Tiscrome.

5. Finland
Mine production: 2.3 million MT

Finland first made it onto the list of top chromium-producing countries in 2018 with output of 2.2 million MT. In 2021, the Nordic country produced 2.3 million MT.

Finland’s major chromium-producing operation is the Kemi mine, owned by global stainless steel manufacturer Outokumpu (FWB:OUTA). “Much like Kazakhstan and India, Finland’s chromite output has been integrated with domestic ferrochrome production,” explains a report by Roskill. “This stands in contrast to South Africa, where the majority of chromite supply is now consumed by China.”

However, Finnish chromium production is still making its way to China and even India, accounting for 20 to 25 percent of Outokumpu’s ferrochrome output.
https://investingnews.com/daily/resourc ... countries/

energy_isere
Modérateur
Modérateur

Message par energy_isere » 24 juil. 2022, 12:31

Un prospect de Chrome au Canada avec un taux faramineux de 34.5% de chromite Cr2O3 pour une quantité de 85.9 million tonnes !
KWG acquires Fancamp’s chromite claims in Ring of Fire

Canadian Mining Journal Staff | July 21, 2022

The Eagle’s Nest nickel-copper-PGM project in northern Ontario’s Ring of Fire region. Credit: Wyloo Metals

Fancamp Exploration (TSXV: FNC) has agreed to sell all its rights and interests in the Koper Lake-McFaulds mineral properties, comprising four mining claims located within Ontario’s Ring of Fire, to KWG Resources (CSE: KWG). The entire property package covers 1,024 ha immediately to the east of claims owned by Wyloo Metals containing the Eagles Nest nickel-copper-platinum deposit.

KWG is currently the operator (50% interest) of the Black Horse chromite project, a key part of the Koper Lake-McFaulds property package. The Black Horse discovery was first made by Fancamp in 2011. Later exploration by KWG led to a resource estimate of 85.9 million tonnes grading 34.5% chromium oxide (Cr2O3) in the inferred category for the chromite deposit.

To secure its interest in the Koper Lake-McFaulds claims, KWG will issue to Fancamp a secured convertible promissory note in the principal amount of $34.5 million bearing interest at 6% and matures in four years. It will also issue warrants to purchase a number of KWG shares equal in value to about half of the principal amount.

Fancamp will also receive a 2% net smelter return royalty on any direct or indirect interest in the mining claims held by KWG.

“The proposed transaction simplifies some of the existing joint venture arrangements and will enable KWG to be the clear leader in the advancement and development of the mining claims and, in due course, to help finance this initiative,” Rajesh Sharma, president and CEO of Fancamp, commented.

“The proposed consideration package allows Fancamp to monetize its investment into KWG with marketable securities while providing KWG with an immediate cash injection that will permit KWG to advance various initiatives relating to the mining claims and to assist with their working capital needs,” Sharma added.

To support its development of chromite deposits in the Ring of Fire, KWG has acquired several intellectual property interests, including a method for the direct reduction of chromite to metalized iron and chrome using natural gas.

KWG also holds a 15% vested interest in the McFaulds copper-zinc project and a 30% interest in the Big Daddy chromite project, the latter of which is a joint venture with Wyloo and contains an estimated 29.1 million tonnes grading over 30% Cr2O3 measured and indicated. In addition, KWG owns 100% of CCC, which staked mining claims between Aroland, Ontario, and the Ring of Fire.
https://www.mining.com/kwg-acquires-fan ... g-of-fire/

energy_isere
Modérateur
Modérateur

Message par energy_isere » 18 févr. 2023, 22:31

la derniére fiche usgs : https://pubs.usgs.gov/periodicals/mcs20 ... romium.pdf

chiffres en milliers de tonnes.

energy_isere
Modérateur
Modérateur

Message par energy_isere » 18 févr. 2023, 22:45

La Finlande apparait dans les producteurs.

Ils ont une seule mine mais énorme, la mine de Kemi. Ouverte en 1968. C'est d'ailleurs la seule mine de Chrome en Europe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kemi_mine
The Kemi Mine is the only chromium mine in the European Union. Currently, the mine extracts 2.4 million tonnes of chrome ore per year. The verified size of the ore body is approximately 50 million tonnes. In addition, the volume of mineral reserves is approximately 98 million tonnes, having been evaluated to a depth of one kilometre.[2] The deposit, with an average thickness of 40 meters, is nearly vertical and approximately one kilometer in length. The depth of the ore deposit remains unclear. The ore contains 26% chromium oxide with a chrome to iron ratio of 1.6. According to the survey report by the Geological Survey of Finland, the chrome ore deposit extends to a depth of two to three kilometres, possible even to four kilometres. Previously, it was estimated that the ore and mineral reserves in Kemi would be sufficient for 70–80 years, but on the basis of more recent information, it is possible that there will be extractable ore for hundreds of years, even after the planned doubling of production.[3]

In terms of excavated volume, the mine, which opened in 1968, is among the largest in Finland, with an annual excavated volume of 2.4 million tonnes of ore. By the end of 2005, a total of 31.4 million tonnes of chromite ore had been extracted from various open-pit mines. Opened in 2003, the underground mine had produced 10.6 million tonnes of chromite ore by the end of 2013.

energy_isere
Modérateur
Modérateur

Message par energy_isere » 08 févr. 2024, 00:00

[
La derniére fiche usgs : https://pubs.usgs.gov/periodicals/mcs20 ... romium.pdf

chiffres en milliers de tonnes.

Répondre