Le Cuivre

Discussions traitant de l'impact du pic pétrolier sur l'économie.

Modérateurs : Rod, Modérateurs

energy_isere
Modérateur
Modérateur

Re: Le Cuivre

Message par energy_isere » 08 déc. 2019, 10:54

Suite de ce post du 20 avril 2013 viewtopic.php?p=346544#p346544
What does Rio Tinto’s $1.5bn Utah mine expansion mean for copper?

By DANIEL BRIGHTMORE . Dec 04, 2019

Rio Tinto has announced a $1.5bn investment to expand its Utah copper mine Kennecott which will expand operations to 2032.

The move reflects a growing trend for miners to invest in strategic mineral projects across the United States. The investment will further extend strip waste rock mining and support additional infrastructure development in the second phase of the South Wall Pushback project, to allow mining to continue into a new area of the ore body and deliver close to one million tonnes of refined copper between 2026 and 2032. It will also allow further exploration of the deposit and options for mine life extension.

Rio Tinto chief executive J-S Jacques commented: “This is an attractive, high value and low risk investment that will ensure Kennecott produces copper and other critical materials to at least 2032. The outlook for copper is attractive, with strong growth in demand driven by its use in electric vehicles and renewable power technologies, and declining grades and closures at existing mines impacting supply.

“Kennecott is uniquely positioned to meet strong demand in the United States and delivers almost 20% of the country’s copper production. North American manufacturers have relied on high quality products from Kennecott for the past century and this investment means it will continue to be a source of essential materials into the next decade.”
https://www.miningglobal.com/operations ... ean-copper

energy_isere
Modérateur
Modérateur

Message par energy_isere » 08 déc. 2019, 14:13

En rapport avec le post au dessus.

La mine de cuivre de Bingham avait subit en 2013 un gigantesque glissement de terrain, et 13 énormes trucks miniers avaient été pris :

Et bien 10 ont été récupérés et quelques autres rebâti après canibalisation d'autres.
Un truck de ce genre, neuf, vaut 4 à 5 millions de dollars.

Un article avec photos qui explique l'événement
https://www.mining.com/bingham-47835/

160 millions de tonnes ont glissés.
Ça serait le plus gros glissement de terrain au monde du a l'homme.

Ils ont du charrier 6 millions de tonnes de matériaux pour refaire une route d' accès au fond.

Pour comparaison la pyramide de Keops fait dans les 5 millions de tonnes.

energy_isere
Modérateur
Modérateur

Message par energy_isere » 15 déc. 2019, 10:31

Projet de faire redémarrer la mine de Cuivre Kombat en Namibie. Petit sursaut de production sur seulement quelques années.

https://www.nsenergybusiness.com/projec ... r-project/

energy_isere
Modérateur
Modérateur

Message par energy_isere » 15 déc. 2019, 10:56

La détente commerciale entre US et Chine fait monter le Cuivre à un plus haut de 7 mois.
6240 dollars la tonne.

https://www.mining.com/copper-price-jum ... rade-deal/
China consumes half the world’s copper, and the dispute with the US has weighed on the market for more than a year. Given its widespread use in industry, construction, transport and power distribution, the metal is sensitive to broader economic conditions.

energy_isere
Modérateur
Modérateur

Message par energy_isere » 15 déc. 2019, 11:02

Bougainville independence could revive one of world’s biggest copper mines

Amanda Stutt | December 11, 2019

The results from the Bougainville Referendum Commission attracted over 181,000 voters (the island nation’s population was 249,358 at the last count) and on Wednesday an overwhelming 98% voted to gain independence from Papua New Guinea.

With a population fewer than Pittsburgh, an estimated per-capita GDP of about $1,100 and an economy reliant on money from the central government, Bougainville seems an unlikely candidate for independence. But it has one resource that could potentially give it real and not just nominal autonomy — a massive copper-gold deposit.

Bougainville had a history of small-scale mining. But the identification of a major gold, copper and silver orebody at Panguna in the 1960s prompted Bougainville Copper Ltd, (BCL) a subsidiary of Rio Tinto, to start operations of a major mine from 1972 until 1989.

Work stopped after the start of the Bougainville civil war, of which the Pangua mine was a focal point. It lasted nearly 10 years.

BCL says Panguna has an estimated 5.3 million tones of copper and 19.3 million ounces of gold, which would make the reserves worth about $60 billion at today’s prices.

BCL, which has a market capitalization of $71 million on the ASX, estimates that it would take seven to eight years and $5 billion to $6 billion to resume operations. Rio Tinto gave away its stake in 2016, effectively donating the mine. That left the governments of Papua New Guinea and Bougainville with 36.4% each of BCL.

In November, Bougainville Vice President Raymond Masono said he would revive a plan to overhaul the region’s mining laws after the independence referendum, which could strip the former operator of Panguna of its interests, Reuters reported.

The proposed changes would erase an interest in the project held by the Papua New Guinea government. Under amendments, Bougainville would take a 60% share in all projects and retain all mining licences, leaving a 40% share that investors can bid for.

“Panguna is the most likely project that can bankroll Bougainville’s independence from Papua New Guinea,” Masono, who is also Bougainville’s mining minister, told Reuters at the time.

“They don’t own the licence and the mine, we own it – they come on our terms. The revolution is ongoing.”
https://www.mining.com/bougainville-ind ... per-mines/

energy_isere
Modérateur
Modérateur

Message par energy_isere » 21 déc. 2019, 14:35

Les analystes sont unanimes : les cours du cuivre devraient retourner à la hausse en 2020

Agence Ecofin. 18 déc 2019

Après une année 2019 difficile, le cuivre pourrait connaitre un meilleur sort en 2020 avec des cours à la hausse. C’est ce que pensent la plupart des analystes du marché, qui s’attendent à un « décollage » du métal rouge en raison notamment de l’augmentation prévue de la demande en Chine.

Le cuivre a souffert cette année, frappé par les tensions géopolitiques et la guerre commerciale entre la Chine et les États-Unis qui ont affaibli la demande mondiale de métaux communs en faveur des métaux précieux. Le marché a également été affecté par les mauvaises performances dans le secteur immobilier chinois, premier consommateur mondial. Cependant, la donne devrait changer d’ici 2020 grâce aux mesures gouvernementales de relance du secteur et à l’accord commercial intérimaire avec les États-Unis.

« Le métal semble sur le point de décoller en raison de stocks faibles, de positions courtes élevées, de contraintes d’offre et d’une meilleure demande », a écrit Christopher LaFemina, analyste chez Jefferies, dans une note à ses clients, relayée par Bloomberg. Pour Goldman Sachs, le cuivre est « prêt à rebondir » en 2020 en raison de la forte croissance en Chine. Même son de cloche du côté de Morgan Stanley, Bank of America et Citigroup, qui ont également des attentes positives pour le cuivre.

Il faut espérer que ce regain de forme du marché profite à la RDC et à la Zambie, les deux premiers producteurs africains.
https://www.agenceecofin.com/cuivre/181 ... se-en-2020

energy_isere
Modérateur
Modérateur

Message par energy_isere » 22 déc. 2019, 20:53

Suite de 3 post au-dessus, le contrat d'usine de desalination avec Marubeni est cassé.
Nouvel appel d'offre en vue.
Codelco cancels $1bn desalination plant contract with Japan’s Marubeni

Cecilia Jamasmie | December 20, 2019

Chile’s Codelco, the world’s No. 1 copper producer, has cancelled a $1 billion contract awarded in November to a consortium led by Japan’s Marubeni to construct and operate a desalination plant that would supply water to the miner’s Chuquicamata, Radomiro Tomic and Ministro Hales divisions in the country’s arid north.

“Between awarding the tender and signing the contract, we identified adjustments to be made to the project, prompting a decision to redefine the tender, which will take place within the next 24 months,” it said in the statement.

Construction of the plant, with an initial capacity of 840 litres per second (l/s), was due to start in the first quarter of 2020. The much-needed facility was expected to be fully operational in 2022.
https://www.mining.com/codelco-revokes- ... -marubeni/

energy_isere
Modérateur
Modérateur

Message par energy_isere » 04 janv. 2020, 19:46

Projet d'une mine souterraine de Cuivre et Nickel dans le Minnesota.
Twin Metals Minnesota Project, Ely, Minnesota

Twin Metals Minnesota is an underground mine located near Ely, Minnesota, US. Twin Metals Minnesota, a joint venture of Duluth Metals (60%) and Antofagasta (40%), is the owner and developer of the project. The mine will produce copper, nickel, platinum group metals (PGM), and cobalt.

The project will be Minnesota’s first underground mine operation since 1967. The pre-feasibility study (PFS) for the project was completed in 2014. Estimated to involve an investment of $1.7bn, the project is expected to have a mine life of 30 years.

The Twin Metals project is expected to generate 700 full-time and 1,400 indirect jobs in the region, once operational. The mine plan for the project was submitted to the US Bureau of Land Management (BLM) for review in December 2019, while construction is expected to be started in 2022.

The proven and probable ore reserves of the Twin Metals project are estimated to be 527Mt grading 0.59% copper (Cu), 0.19% nickel (Ni), 0.154 parts per million (ppm) platinum (Pt), 0.350ppm palladium (Pd), 0.09ppm gold (Au), and 2.15ppm silver (Ag).

Contained metals are estimated to be 2.81 million tonnes (Mt) of Cu, 0.9Mt of Ni, 2.4 million ounces (Moz) of Pt, 5.4Moz of Pd, 1.3Moz of Au, and 33.1Moz of Ag.
https://www.nsenergybusiness.com/projec ... minnesota/

Il y a 3 fois plus de tonnage de cuivre que de Nickel, mais le Nickel valant 2.3 fois le prix du Cuivre à la tonne l'exploitation du Nickel ne sera pas négligeable.

energy_isere
Modérateur
Modérateur

Le cuivre

Message par energy_isere » 11 janv. 2020, 10:11

Zambie : le Canadien First Quantum examine un projet d’extension de 1 milliard $ pour sa mine Kansanshi

Agence Ecofin 6 janv 2020

La plus grande mine de cuivre de Zambie pourrait voir sa durée de vie augmentée d’une décennie si First Quantum Minerals va au bout de ses plans. Selon Reuters, la compagnie canadienne est en train d’étudier un investissement d’environ un milliard de dollars censé augmenter la production.

Ainsi, en plus d’augmenter la durée de vie de la mine Kansanshi, l’investissement permettrait de faire passer la production annuelle de 235 000 tonnes l’an dernier à 300 000 tonnes dans les années à venir. Le projet sera présenté, apprend-on, au Conseil d’administration de la société cette année.

Si cette information démontre la détermination de First Quantum à continuer de développer sa mine Kansanshi sur une longue durée, il est peu probable que ses plans d’investissement soient approuvés en l’état actuel du régime fiscal zambien. Comme la plupart de ses pairs, la compagnie vit mal les réformes introduites en 2019 par la Zambie qui a augmenté les impôts miniers et redevances. Elle a annoncé son intention de licencier 2 500 travailleurs sur l’ensemble de ses opérations, qui comprennent également la mine Sentinel.
https://www.agenceecofin.com/investisse ... -kansanshi

energy_isere
Modérateur
Modérateur

Message par energy_isere » 11 janv. 2020, 10:21

RDC : hausse de production pour le cuivre

Agence Ecofin 9 janv 2020

La production minière congolaise a augmenté pour le cuivre, et baissé pour le cobalt et l’or durant la période de janvier à novembre 2019.

Selon les nouvelles données de la Banque centrale du pays publiées jeudi, la production de cuivre a augmenté de 15,9 % en glissement annuel, pour atteindre 1,308 millions de tonnes

La RDC est le premier producteur de cuivre d’Afrique.
https://www.agenceecofin.com/cuivre/090 ... embre-2019

energy_isere
Modérateur
Modérateur

Message par energy_isere » 11 janv. 2020, 10:23

Zambie : First Quantum a enregistré une production de cuivre record en 2019

Agence Ecofin 10 janv 2020

La compagnie minière First Quantum, active en Zambie sur les mines Kansanshi et Sentinel, a terminé l’année 2019 avec un record de production de 702 000 tonnes de cuivre, en hausse de 96 000 tonnes en glissement annuel. Si les mines zambiennes ont beaucoup contribué à ce volume, la bonne performance s’explique surtout par l’entrée en production commerciale en octobre dernier de sa nouvelle mine panaméenne Cobre.

Selon le bilan préliminaire publié jeudi, Kansanshi, qui est toujours la plus grande mine de la société, a produit 232 000 tonnes de cuivre. Quant à Sentinel, son autre opération zambienne, elle a livré 220 000 tonnes du métal rouge.

Alors que 2020 sera la première année de pleine production de sa nouvelle mine Cobre Panama, la société prévoit que sa production augmente de 25 %. Elle s’attend ainsi à produire entre 830 000 et 880 000 t de cuivre pour l’exercice.

Pour rappel, plus tôt cette semaine, l’agence Reuters a rapporté que First Quantum envisage d’investir 1 milliard de dollars pour augmenter la production de sa mine Kansanshi à 300 000 tonnes/an.
https://www.agenceecofin.com/cuivre/100 ... rd-en-2019

energy_isere
Modérateur
Modérateur

Message par energy_isere » 18 janv. 2020, 14:42

RDC : la mine de cuivre-cobalt Deziwa entre en production commerciale

Agence Ecofin 16 janv 2020

En RDC, la compagnie minière nationale Gécamines a inauguré ce mercredi la mine de cuivre-cobalt de Deziwa, ainsi que son usine de traitement, située à 35 km à l’est de Kolwezi. Le projet est un partenariat entre la société congolaise et le groupe chinois China Nonferrous Metal Mining Company (CNMC).

Somidez, la société qui contrôle la mine est en effet une coentreprise détenue à 51 % par la CNMC et à 49 % par l’État congolais à travers la Gécamines. La mine, dont la construction démarrée en mai 2018 a nécessité un investissement 880 millions $, devrait produire annuellement 80 000 tonnes de cuivre et 8 000 tonnes de cobalt. CNMC l’exploitera pendant neuf ans, avec une possible extension de deux ans, avant d’en transférer la gestion à la Gécamines.

« Contrairement à nos autres partenariats industriels, la durée de vie de notre collaboration est déjà fixée et à la fin de celle-ci, nous serons les seuls maîtres à bord », a commenté Albert Yuma, président de la Gécamines, précisant que sur la base des réserves connues, sa société pourrait exploiter la mine pour sept à neuf années supplémentaires.

Alors que la Gécamines subit de plein fouet la chute du prix du cobalt et la fermeture de Mutanda par son partenaire Glencore, le lancement de cette nouvelle mine apparait comme une bouffée d’oxygène au milieu de ses difficultés.
https://www.agenceecofin.com/cobalt/160 ... ommerciale

https://www.mining.com/web/congo-opens- ... balt-mine/

energy_isere
Modérateur
Modérateur

Message par energy_isere » 19 janv. 2020, 12:26

Nouveau projet de cuivre en Colombie Britannique, Canada, le projet Yellowhead
Taseko finalizes development plan for Yellowhead copper project

Canadian Mining Journal Staff | January 16, 2020

Taseko Mines has completed a new development plan and updated study for its Yellowhead copper project, 150 km northeast of Kamloops, British Columbia, adding 100 million tonnes to reserves and improving the economics.

A new technical report pegs pre-production capital costs for an operation with a 25-year mine life at Yellowhead at C$1.3 billion. At an 8% discount rate, the project has a pre-tax net present value (NPV) of C$1.3 billion and an internal rate of return (IRR) of 18%.

The project contains updated reserves of 817 million tonnes grading 0.29% copper equivalent (or 0.28% copper, 0.03 g/t gold and 1.3 g/t silver). The study used a long-term metal price of $3.10 per lb. copper and a $0.80 exchange rate.

In a release, Taseko CEO Russell Hallbauer noted that the updated report improves NPV by C$500 million over a 2014 feasibility study completed by the project’s previous owner, Yellowhead Mining.

“The optimizations and modifications we have made are not only beneficial to the economics of the project but will also improve it from an environmental assessment process standpoint,” Hallbauer said. “The leverage this mine has to metal prices is huge, and with only a 10% increase in these assumptions, the pre-tax NPV climbs to C$2 billion.”

The company now plans a 90,000 t/d operation, up from 70,000 t/d. The new technical report also features an improved water management plan that reduces stored water by 90%.

“While our primary and near-term focus will remain on the advancement of our Florence copper project through to production, we will continue to progress Yellowhead expeditiously as the timing will fit in ideally after Florence copper achieves commercial production,” Hallbauer said. “With the new technical report now complete, our efforts will focus on environmental assessment work, ongoing engagement with local communities.”

Taseko also owns the operating Gibraltar mine and is advancing the Florence copper project in Arizona. In December, it announced it was in talks with the Tsilhqot’in First Nation, mediated by the province, regarding its New Prosperity project in B.C.

Taseko acquired Yellowhead in 2014 in an all-stock transaction valued at C$13 million.
https://www.mining.com/taskeo-finalizes ... r-project/

energy_isere
Modérateur
Modérateur

Message par energy_isere » 06 févr. 2020, 15:05

Baisse du cours du Cuivre, pareil que pour le pétrole à cause du coronavirus en Chine.
Crashing Copper Prices Spell Trouble For Oil

By Editorial Dept - Feb 05, 2020

Copper has spoken. Its voice is the loudest of the commodities, and it’s not optimistic for the global economy.

The coronavirus--which had by the time of writing claimed 490 lives and infected over 24,300 people--is battering all commodities right now, but it’s copper that the oil bulls should be watching because this is the barometer of global economic health, which speaks volumes about future oil and gas demand.

Flights to China have been cancelled, and Chinese manufacturing plants have been closed down, with rumor of force majeure in the works for commodity supply contracts.

By Monday, copper had seen a 12% drop in price.

Economists in Beijing think Q1 growth rates could drop a percentage point or more.

That’s bad news for copper above all, and what’s bad for copper is bad for oil and gas.

What Does Copper Have To Do With Oil?

Because it’s tied so closely to manufacturing, industrial production, construction, engineering, and--most recently--information technology, not to mention a host of other sectors, copper is pretty much the best indicator of global economic strength and global demand.

There is a clear correlation with the price of oil because both commodities are affected by the same fundamental economic factors. And that’s not even considering the energy costs related to copper mining and refining itself.

It’s not a 1:1 correlation, though, and it’s changed quite a bit over the past decade and a half, and particularly since the U.S. shale boom and gains made in the renewable energy sector.

But the fact remains, the connection is incredibly strong, and sustaining:

Source: Kitco

Where the two could eventually diverge is where energy itself diverges into fossil fuels and renewables--the new “paradigm” that could upset the long-running correlation between copper prices and oil prices, according to Lobo Tiggre, writing for Kitco.

The Commodities Bloodbath

As the world’s largest buyer of copper, a virus panic that has led the Chinese State Grid to put all new tenders on hold, as well as call off oil imports, has shaved a big chunk off the price of most major commodities.

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-Gene ... r-Oil.html

energy_isere
Modérateur
Modérateur

Message par energy_isere » 08 févr. 2020, 11:47

Suite de ce post du 14 sept 2019 viewtopic.php?p=2287755#p2287755
RDC : Ivanhoe Mines publie une nouvelle estimation de ressources pour le projet Kamoa-Kakula

Agence Ecofin 6 fev 2020

En RDC, la compagnie minière Ivanhoe Mines a publié une nouvelle estimation de ressources pour le projet de cuivre Kamoa-Kakula. Selon l’évaluation, le projet héberge désormais 423 millions de tonnes de ressources indiquées (titrant 4,68 % de cuivre), à une teneur de coupure de 3 %.

Ces résultats ont été obtenus grâce à un programme de forage intercalaire réalisé au gisement Kamoa, précisément dans les zones à haute teneur de Bonanza et Far North. Ce programme a notamment permis d’identifier des ressources supplémentaires à Kamoa.

Si les travaux d’exploration se poursuivent sur ce gisement, la compagnie a indiqué que l’autre pendant du projet, le gisement Kakula, devrait entrer en production très rapidement. Il produirait son premier concentré de cuivre d’ici le troisième trimestre 2021, grâce à une usine de traitement d’une capacité annuelle de 3,8 millions de tonnes.

Pour rappel, le projet Kamoa-Kakula est une coentreprise entre Ivanhoe Mines (39,6 %), le chinois Zijin Mining Group (39,6 %), le gouvernement congolais (20 %) et Crystal River Global (0,8 %).
https://www.agenceecofin.com/cuivre/060 ... moa-kakula

Répondre